Panjab University has given a green flag to the Ph.D. departments to conduct viva of scholars through video conferencing. As the classes of the students remain suspended due to the outbreak of COVID-19. With the relaxations under Lockdown 4.0, the university has made some recent decisions.
What is announced by the registrar
The authorities of Panjab University have announced that Ph.D. departments to conduct online viva of scholars. The PU registrar, Professor Karamjit Singh, addressed students through Facebook live and informed them about the decision of the University. The registrar also replied to the queries of students about examination, re-examination, admission, next academic session, and summer training.
The dates for the examination of the current session have not been mentioned yet by the registrar. The University is referring to the instructions given by UGC and is prioritizing examination for the outgoing session. The students will be informed about the examination timely, providing them enough time to prepare.
The University has permitted to conduct online viva of scholars, however, the final decision has to be taken by the department. The vivas are to be held in the respective Ph.D. departments of students; if the facility is not available then the department can conduct the vivas at the computer center of the University. The online viva will be conducted by Skype or any other online platform.The authorities of Panjab University have announced that Ph.D. departments to conduct online viva of scholars. Click To Tweet
There are few guidelines provided by the committee to conduct the respective vivas
- The Chairperson of the concerned department, supervisor, and candidates are to be present during the viva.
- The faculty members and scholars will join from their home to ensure that the interaction is public viva-voce.
- The thesis of the scholars must be processed by the secrecy department of the University for scholars whose Ph.D. is pending.
- The collected thesis must be sent to the examiner for evaluation after following the required process. The scholars will collect their reports from the examiner online.
- After the University resumes, the students will be given a reasonable time of a few weeks to attend classes to complete the syllabus and practical work.
- The Chairperson of the respective departments is directed by the authorities to arrange faculty members into groups. These groups will be helping the students and their queries.
In March, the Apex executive body of the University permitted Viva of scholars through video conferencing only where the student is unable to appear physically under reasonable cause.
The University authorities decided to rehire the employees including guest faculty, temporary contract teachers, and contractual non-teaching staff, when the University resumes. These are the employees whose term was to be expired at the end of the current session.
The University will be taking required measures under the guidelines of UGC to regulate the smooth functioning of the administration while conducting the online vivas. The authorities must cover as many students as possible for the viva.
Follow us on Instagram